CINCINNATI -- Plenty of the Queen City's brewers have summer beers designed to be refreshing and help you keep cool, so if the heat has you reaching for a cold one, give these local seasonal beers a try:
1. MadTree Brewing -- Sol Drifter -- Whether you drift along in life, drift down the river, or just want to drift through a drinking session, Sol Drifter will let you go where you want by delivering subtle citrus hop flavors to complement a crisp, refreshing, tart finish. 4.3% ABV, 18 IBU
This beer even comes with some suggested cocktails. MadTree’s brewers suggest trying these recipes with your Sol Drifter.
2. Rivertown -- Jenneke Belgian style blond -- Our Belgian blond ale is slightly fruity in the nose, mildly spicy in flavor. Jenneke is nicely dry creating a wonderfully balanced finish! 6.1% ABV, 23 IBU
Of special note, Jenneke was developed in part by a local homebrewer.
3. Christian Moerlein -- Se7en Hefeweizen -- Sinner or saint... the truth is never transparent, but always finishes heavenly. This distinctive south German-style wheat beer has distinctive banana and clove aroma sand flavors with a dry, tart finish from balanced hop character. 4.7% ABV
4. Rhinegeist -- Zen pale ale -- This Pale Ale is like walking barefoot through a citrus grove in the morning. Earthy and orange zest hop character permeates this Session Pale. Has notes of grapefruit and pine. 4.8% ABV, 45 IBU
The Zen pale ale was Rhinegeist’s third can option.
5. Mt. Carmel -- Summer Wheat -- Bright, citrusy and hoppy, this summertime ale salutes the flavor of the American hop and gives way to a smooth refreshing finish. 4.8% 34 IBU
6. Great Crescent -- Aurora Lager -- Aurora Lager is crafted using German malt and hops which results in a beer full of body and flavor. Only German Perle hops are used to create this very unique beer. 5.3% 28 IBU.
7. Blank Slate -- Out and About wheat ale -- In Eastern Germany there is an old, nearly forgotten style of wheat beer known as Gose (pronounced "goes-uh"). Traditionally brewed with coriander and salt and fermented to produce a slight sourness, this beer has a tart, refreshing finish. Our version uses German "Sauermalz" and a little caraway to go along with the coriander and just a touch of sea salt. The result is a crisp, refreshing wheat ale that is just the thing when you are ‘out and about’ on a warm day. 5.4% ABV 26 IBU
8. 50 West -- Little Miami Wiesse -- Our tart wheat ale best fits the bill. Really crisp wheat flavor, which people associate with summer, plus it's easy to drink with such a low ABV. Berliner Weisse Style refreshing wheat beer. Tart and tangy, the lemonade of beers. 3% ABV 5 IBU
9. Listermann -- Beets Me wheat -- It started as an experiment, now it’s a summer favorite at Listermann Brewing. Beets Me is brewed with beet juice, giving it a distinct, pinkish hue. This fruity wheat ale has aromas of bananas and spice. 5.3% ABV 13 IBU
Get a better look at the brews by clicking through the slideshow above.
You can take part in the conversation at our #9beer Facebook page too!