CINCINNATI - Bring some bang to your end-of-summer dinner table with Homemade Corn Dogs and Green Tomato Jam. They are shockingly simple to make, ridiculously delicious to eat, and the ultimate way to celebrate another sunny season lived to the fullest.
Punctuate your last hurrah of summer, then, with popsicles for dessert and a run through the sprinkler.
Play with this recipe by mixing up the sausages and the condiments that complement them. Try chorizo with salsa verde on the side, or a garlicky brat with marinara sauce. Or, keep it classic with an all-beef hot dog and a side of spicy mustard.
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/4 cup Milk
- Salt + Pepper
- Brats, Smoked Sausage, and Hot Dogs
- Fill a large pot halfway full with oil and bring to high heat, or until it reaches 325 degrees.
- Halve the sausages and skewer them.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, Dijon mustard, and egg. Next, stir the two together.
- Once the oil is hot enough, dip the sausages in the batter. Slowly drop the sausage into the oil so the oil doesn't splash. Let cook 2-3 minutes, or until the batter is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oil, let cool for a minute or two on a paper towel, and then serve while still hot and crispy.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Cook Time: 5-10 Minutes Yields: 12-16 Sticks
Tips + Tricks
To make it easier to completely surround the sausage, transfer the batter to a tall glass. Fill it only 2/3 of the way and dunk the skewered sausage in the glass.
Especially if you are using a variety of different sausages in the same batch, do not dip the entire sausage in the batter so you can differentiate the flavors.
Green Tomato Jam
Save every last drop of leftover jam and offer it as part of a cheese plate, spread over warm biscuits, layered into a grilled cheese sandwich, or stirred into scrambled eggs.
- 4 Green Tomatoes (approx. 2-2½ lbs.)
- 1 Onion
- 3 cups Sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 Jalapeno
- 2 Tbsp. Minced Fresh Ginger
- 2 tsp. Salt
- Prepare your ingredients: Mince the onions, jalapeno, and ginger. Chop the green tomatoes.
- In a saucepot, combine all of the ingredients and bring them to high heat
- Cook for 30-40 minutes, or until most of the liquid has reduced to a syrupy consistency.
- Remove the jam from the heat and let cool completely.
- Transfer to an air-tight container and store in the refrigerator.
Prep Time: 15-20 Minutes Cook Time: 30-40 Minutes Yields: Approx. 2 Cups
Tips + Tricks:
The more you reduce the jam, the thicker it will be. If you want an easily spreadable jam, reduce it for only 20-30 minutes.