Like what you see? Join Insider on Nov. 30 for our best deal on an annual membership ever: $19.99 and we give you a $20 Amazon.com Gift Card (while supplies last).
WCPO Insider is a membership bringing you closer to the city you love. As an Insider you receive rewards, stories and access to new experiences across your community.
Firefighters are lauding a man for trying to alert neighbors after a three alarm fire in Walnut Hills.
Fire crews battled a large house fire on Stanton Avenue near William Howard Taft Road.
There's more to the story when you become an Insider. WCPO Insider's membership is an additional benefit on top of everything you can get for free on WCPO.com. We created an entire digital organization dedicated to bringing you exclusive access to in-depth stories that you can’t get anywhere else, handpicked events, and incredible savings on things you love to do. To find out more click here.
CINCINNATI -- AUG. 5, 2014 -- Fire crews battled a house fire on Stanton Avenue in Walnut Hills. (Photo by Tony Mirones)
CINCINNATI – Fire crews battled a large house fire on Stanton Avenue near William Howard Taft Road.
The fire broke out at about 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at a two-family home in the 2600 block of Stanton Avenue.
CLICK HERE FOR SCENE PHOTOS
Officials said the initial crews at the scene quickly called in five more companies after the arrived. At least 65 firefighters were called to the scene.
Firefighters said the flames scorched two buildings and a third was threatened.
View from back of building, still have a good amount of fire, crews making good progress pic.twitter.com/4rnHEYuKtO— Cincy Fire & EMS (@CincyFireEMS) August 5, 2014
View from back of building, still have a good amount of fire, crews making good progress pic.twitter.com/4rnHEYuKtO
Residents were asked to avoid the area while crews battled the fire.
Paramedics said one man who was living at the home was treated for smoke inhalation.
WCPO’s Anthony Mirones spokes with resident Coleman Henderson. He said he pounded on the door at the home that caught fire but didn’t find anyone. Henderson was treated at the scene by emergency personnel.
Henderson teaches at Hughes High School. He said he went into the home to make sure no one was in danger.
"We appreciate him going in because at the time we thought somebody might live on that first floor; once he identified that it was vacant … he came on out. He took a risk in doing that but we appreciate him verifying before our arrival,” Assistant Chief of Operations Roy Winton said.
One firefighter was overcome with heat exhaustion and was treated at the scene, as well.
Fire officials said crews brought the fire under control by about 11:15 a.m. Firefighters were still at the scene monitoring the fire and putting out hot spots.
Crews said the fire caused significant home to the first house and minor damage to another home.
No other details were released.