Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky (L) walks into the Centre County Courthouse before being sentenced. (Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images)
Hide Caption

Jerry Sandusky's adopted son among seven who settle with Penn State

a a a a
Share this story
Show Related Headlines
Related Articles
Settlement reached in Sandusky scandal
Penn St. settles with Sandusky victims
Sandusky speaks in jailhouse interview
Scandal costs Penn St. $41M so far
Sandusky hearing on trial fairness
Gov. to sue NCAA over Penn St. sanctions
Sandusky abuse scandal impact felt
Sandusky will join death row inmates
Sandusky moved from county to state jail

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) -- Seven young men, including Jerry Sandusky's adopted son, have finalized deals with Penn State over claims of abuse by the school's former assistant football coach, their lawyer said Friday.

Settlements were reached by Matt Sandusky, as well as the young man known as "Victim 2" in court records and three other victims who testified last summer against Jerry Sandusky at his criminal trial, Philadelphia attorney Matt Casey said.

Matt Sandusky had been expected to be a defense witness for his father until the trial, when he told investigators that he also had been abused by Jerry Sandusky. He has since petitioned for a legal name change for himself and his family.

"Victim 2" has said he was the boy then-graduate assistant Mike McQueary testified he saw being attacked by Jerry Sandusky in a team shower in 2001. McQueary notified legendary coach Joe Paterno and school officials at the time, but police were never called, an omission that eventually led to Paterno's firing.

Casey did not disclose the terms of the settlements, but said they took shape some time ago and were completed a week ago, followed by passing paperwork back and forth to memorialize them.

"To say they're relieved, I think, is a fair statement," Casey said. "But it's also accurate to say that while we've closed this chapter, there's a whole lot of this that's necessarily inadequate."

The university has not announced the deals.

Nearly a week ago, a lawyer disclosed the first settlement among the 31 lawsuits filed against the school amid the Sandusky scandal. Earlier this week, a lawyer brought in by Penn State to facilitate negotiations said he expected 24 more cases to settle in the near future.

A Penn State spokesman on Friday said only that settlement talks continued to progress. He declined further comment.

The school has spent nearly $50 million on the Sandusky scandal, not including any payments to the victims and accusers.

Other lawyers involved in settlement talks said Friday they were still working with the university but none had a signed, final agreement.

Sandusky spent three decades at Penn State under Paterno. A 1998 complaint about Sandusky showering with a boy - one of those who testified against him - was investigated by university police but no charges were filed. McQueary witnessed a different incident involving "Victim 2" in the team shower in 2001.

The response of university leaders, including Paterno, was heavily criticized in a report commissioned by the school last year. Also, the NCAA penalized the school for its response to complaints about Sandusky and imposed a $60 million fine, a four-year bowl ban, a loss of scholarships and the elimination of 112 Paterno-era wins.

Paterno died in January 2012, but criminal charges for an alleged cover-up are pending against three others: former president Graham Spanier, retired vice president Gary Schultz and retired athletic director Tim Curley. All three deny the allegations.

Sandusky, 69, was convicted of 45 counts of child sexual abuse and is serving a decades-long state prison sentence. He maintains he is innocent, and an appeals hearing is scheduled for next month in Dallas, Pa.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Print this article

Comments

Hmm... It looks like you’re not a WCPO Insider. or Subscribe now to contribute!

More National News
Alfredo Simon accused of sexual assault, sued
Alfredo Simon accused of sexual assault, sued

A New Jersey woman claims Alfredo Simon, who plays for the Cincinnati Reds, sexually assaulted her in Washington, D.C. last spring.

House speaker Boehner: World wants US to lead
House speaker Boehner: World wants US to lead

House Speaker John Boehner says U.S. global allies want America to show strong leadership, and he's encouraged by plans to deploy…

Fetal tissue used to power some Oregon homes
Fetal tissue used to power some Oregon homes

An Oregon county commission has ordered an incinerator to stop accepting boxed medical waste to generate electricity after learning the waste…

Labor Dept. aims to reduce black lung disease
Labor Dept. aims to reduce black lung disease

The Obama administration said Wednesday it is cutting the amount of coal dust allowed in coal mines in an effort to help reduce black lung disease.

FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes

The federal government wants to ban sales of electronic cigarettes to minors and require approval for new products and health warning labels…

GM faces another safety investigation
GM faces another safety investigation

General Motors is dealing with another government safety investigation. This time the car targeted is the 2014 Impala.

Internet TV case: Justices skeptical, concerned
Internet TV case: Justices skeptical, concerned

Grappling with fast-changing technology, Supreme Court justices debated Tuesday whether they can protect the copyrights of TV broadcasters to…

Airport security vulnerabilities not uncommon
Airport security vulnerabilities not uncommon

For all the tens of billions of dollars that the nation has spent on screening passengers and their bags, few airports made a comparable…

Supreme Court upholds ban on affirmative action
Supreme Court upholds ban on affirmative action

The Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld Michigan's ban on using race as a factor in college admissions.

Infant found in Detroit home with dead mother
Infant found in Detroit home with dead mother

An infant is fighting for her life after she was left alone with her mother’s dead body for several days.